Sigma Sigma Rho Sorority Inc. policy with respect to hazing prohibits any active and alumna member from engaging collectively or individually in initiating a new member in the new member education process. All current and prospective members have the right to be treated with respect. These rights are enforced by punishing violations of the Sorority's policies and procedures.
Sigma Sigma Sorority Inc. reaffirmed its total opposition to hazing with implementing a mandatory anti-hazing policy and the implementation of new procedures to identify, investigate and punish incidents. Hazing will not be tolerated in any form.
Definition of Hazing
HAZING DEFINED – any willful, intentional, knowing or reckless act, occurring on or off the campus of an educational institution, wherein a sister promotes or facilitates acts directed against a new member, which endangers the mental or physical health or safety of a new member for the purpose of being initiated into, affiliating with, or maintaining membership in Sigma Sigma Sorority, Inc. This list is intended to provide examples of hazing. As it is impossible to anticipate every situation that could involve hazing, this list should not be considered to be all-inclusive. For clarification of this hazing policy and what activities are included, contact the National Vice President of Membership.
- Any type of physical activity, such as calisthenics not specifically directed toward constructive work or includes sleep deprivation, exposure to the elements, confinement in a small space, irrational scavenger hunts;
- Any activity consuming food, liquid, alcoholic beverage, liquor, drug or other substance which subjects the new member to an unreasonable risk of harm;
- The wearing or carrying of any embarrassing, degrading or physically burdensome article;
- Any type of servitude that is of personal benefit to the individual members;
- Psychological hazing, which is defined as any act or peer pressure which is likely to
- (a) compromise the dignity of the new member affiliated with the organization,
- (b) cause embarrassment or shame to the new member affiliated with the organization,
- (c) cause a new member affiliated to be the object of malicious amusement or ridicule
Hazing Policy Violations
Any sister, both active and alumna, who participates in, supports or condones the practice of hazing may face disciplinary action by the National Council. Any individual or chapter violation of Sigma Rho Sorority, Inc. anti-hazing policy will result in suspension, expulsion or revocation of the chapter's charter. A fine may also be imposed.
Sigma Sigma Rho Sorority, Inc. recognizes that hazing is crime in each state where the organization is established. Conduct associated with hazing is not only subject to discipline by local, state and federal authorities, but is also subject to individual group members (and their parents), group leaders, advisors, the organization, and national affiliates being sued.