Sigma Sigma Rho Sorority, Inc. prohibits any active and alumna member from engaging collectively or individually in initiating a new member in the New Member Education Process through any method of hazing. Sigma Sigma Rho Sorority, Inc. also prohibits any active and alumna member from engaging collectively or individually in hazing any current and/or disaffiliated member of Sigma Sigma Rho Sorority, Inc. All prospective, current, and disaffiliated members have the right to be treated with respect. These rights are enforced by punishing violations of Sigma Sigma Rho Sorority, Inc.’s policies and procedures.
Sigma Sigma Rho Sorority, Inc. reaffirmed its total opposition to hazing with implementing a mandatory anti-hazing policy and the implementation of new procedures to identify, investigate, and punish incidents.
Hazing will not be tolerated in any form.
Definition of Hazing
Hazing is considered to be any willful, intentional, knowing, or reckless act, occurring on or off the campus of an educational institution, wherein a Sister promotes or facilitates acts directed against a new member, which endangers the mental or physical health or safety of a new member for the purpose of being initiated into, affiliating with, or maintaining membership in Sigma Sigma Rho Sorority, Inc.
This list is intended to provide examples of hazing. As it is impossible to anticipate every situation that could involve hazing, this list should not be considered to be all-inclusive. For clarification of this hazing policy and what activities are included, contact the National Vice President of Membership.
- Any type of physical activity, such as calisthenics not specifically directed toward constructive work or includes sleep deprivation, exposure to the elements, confinement in a small space, irrational scavenger hunts;
- Any activity consuming food, liquid, alcoholic beverage, liquor, drug, or other substance which subjects the Potential New Member to an unreasonable risk of harm;
- The wearing or carrying of any embarrassing, degrading, or physically burdensome article;
- Lineups for the purpose of interrogating, yelling, demeaning, or intimidating behavior;
- Any type of servitude that is of personal benefit to the individual members; and/or
- Psychological hazing, which is defined as any act or peer pressure which is likely to:
- (a) Compromise the dignity of the new member affiliated with Sigma Sigma Rho Sorority, Inc.
- (b) Cause embarrassment or shame to the new member affiliated with Sigma Sigma Rho Sorority, Inc.
- (c) Cause a new member affiliated to be the object of malicious amusement or ridicule.
Hazing Policy Violations
Any Sister, both active and alumna, who participates in, supports or condones the practice of hazing may face disciplinary action by the National Executive Board and/or the Board of Directors. Any individual, Colony, Associate Chapter, or Chapter in violation of Sigma Sigma Rho Sorority, Inc.’s anti-hazing policy will result in suspension, expulsion, or revocation of the establishment’s charter. A fine may also be imposed.
Sigma Sigma Rho Sorority, Inc. recognizes that hazing is crime in each state where Sigma Sigma Rho Sorority, Inc. is established. Conduct associated with hazing is not only subject to discipline by local, state, and federal authorities, but is also subject to individual group members and their parents, group leaders, advisors, Sigma Sigma Rho Sorority, Inc., and national affiliates being sued.