Sigma for Society
Domestic Violence awareness is the National Philanthropy of Sigma Sigma Rho Sorority Incorporated. We will be holding our annual "Sigma for Society" week dedicated to raising awareness about domestic violence in October by each chapter or colony at their respective universities. The funds we raise contribute to a non-profit organization dedicated to assist victims of domestic violence. In addition to raising funds, awareness is spread on all our campus communities through service projects, workshops, and informational events.
Raise your Voice against Violence.
- Every 9 seconds in the US a woman is assaulted or beaten.
- Around the world, at least one in every three women has been beaten, coerced into sex or otherwise abused during her lifetime. Most often, the abuser is a member of her own family.
- Domestic violence is the leading cause of injury to women—more than car accidents, muggings, and rapes combined.
- Studies suggest that up to 10 million children witness some form of domestic violence annually.
- Men who as children witnessed their parents’ domestic violence were twice as likely to abuse their own wives, than sons of nonviolent parents.
Act to Change
During National Bully Prevention Month, Sigma Sigma Rho Sorority, Inc. will be bringing awareness against bullying by participating in the Act to Change campaign. The campaign aims to increase awareness of bullying – including in the Asian American and Pacific Islander (AAPI) community – and empower communities with information and tools to help prevent and end bullying.
We encourage visitors to “Take the Pledge” to join the #ActToChange movement and stand up against bullying. As one out of three AAPIs does not speak English fluently, resources are available on the site in Chinese, Hindi, Korean, Punjabi, Urdu, and Vietnamese.
Please join us in the #ActToChange movement! If you have a moment today, please check out ActToChange.org, Take the Pledge, and share on social media and with your networks.